Puppets and Stuff
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Female Puppets?  (Read 7668 times)
Faquad
No Avatar
« on: January 15, 2011, 09:34:39 pm »

Greetings,
I'm new to both puppet making and this forum.  I have succeeded in making 4 puppets (1 many years ago, and 3 recently).
The last 2 puppets I have made are from a pattern I purchased which uses felt sheets (9"x12"), and I'm very happy with the results.

My question here, is how I could modify the pattern, etc. in a way I could add breasts to a female puppet.
One thought I had was to purchase a styrofoam ball, cut it in half, then glue the felt to the 1/2 balls which would form the shape.
However, I'm concerned with the extra felt required.  Another thought I had was along the same lines, using the foam balls, then gluing seperate felt to them, then gluing these foam covered 1/2 spheres to the puppets chest.  The problem with this would be the "seam" that would appear where the breasts meet the body.

I have seen female puppets with breasts, just not sure how to go about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:57:51 am »

You have the right idea. You could also cut out Half circle shapes then sew two of them together on the curve, then stuff them with poly fill or even something like the small styro beads that come in bean bags.  You then sew the two straight edges to the puppet.  You might have to add a bit of curve to the straight edge depending on the shape of the body.
jeezbo
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:05:53 am »

it sounds like you are heading in the right direction with this, however, there will always be a visable seam with felt, i guess you could always make the puppets body with the breasts already glued on, then cover the torso and breasts with the felt, thus giving a better coverage, but it depends on whether the puppet is wearing clothes that cover the chest, because if the chest was covered, it wouldnt matter about the seam!!
its just my ten pence worth, ill give it another think and tell you if i come up with any more suggestions!!
Ben.
Faquad
No Avatar
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 07:49:39 pm »

Ya, I agree with clothes factor, and would wear clothes.  However, the hope is that low cut tops would be a possibility, etc.
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 09:19:38 pm »

If you already have a pattern for the body what you could do is take the top half of it and cut the "half moon" shapes of the top part of the breast. you then cut two seperate half moons that go on the back of these.  You sew along the curve then leave open in the back and fill.  Then you attach the bottom or torso of your body to those back half moons along the straight edge.  Does that make sense to you?  This way you have a seam at the bottom edge of the breast but is covered by the close but still lets you have smooth line for low cut dresses with cleveage.
jeezbo
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 04:48:27 am »

Thats pretty much what i was saying, but from the top downwards, its not easy at all with fleece, but im pretty sure both our suggestions wouls allow the puppet to have a low cut top and some decent clevage!! It sounds weird talking about puppet cleavage!! lol!! you know its alot easier with a fleece of some sort, any fleece covers a seam quite decently, it doesnt have to be antron fleece, but it does help!!
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 07:45:29 am »

You know, felt is pretty easy to stretch and form over things if you get it wet.  I wonder if you could get some wet then stretch and form it over half the two half's of a ball and then incorporate that into the pattern.
Billy D. Fuller
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 05:33:59 pm »

Thought you might like to look at this face book friends project................. his page is in polish but perhaps you can visualize the picture.

http://www.facebook.com/adaszab

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:58:32 pm by Billy D. Fuller »
Faquad
No Avatar
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 11:10:08 am »

thanks for everything.
I will try the "stretching" method first, see how that goes.
If not, I'll have to do the seam below the breasts.
Lizzies Lair
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 03:11:16 am »

Was there success after this post? I'm finding myself struggling to achieve the 'perfect rack' tonight too  icon_lol. Hopefully these techniques will help as the draping method was a total disaster. I'm intending for my puppet to be basically unclothed but with some dignity. Miss Piggy has some pretty crazy cleavage happening sans seams so it must be achievable somehow!
Rikka
No Avatar
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 03:27:11 am »

Billy, that was sexy!
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 08:02:34 am »

Lizzie,

Take a look at both your dresses and your bra's. The darts and seams you see in them may help you figure out how you can shape your fabric. It might also help to cover what ever base you use for the breast first and then attach that to the body.  I know that I can pretty much cover any half round shape with a stretch fabric pretty easily.  Have a look at the pictures I posted of how to make nose for a puppet. http://puppetsandstuff.com/community/index.php?action=gallery&g2_itemId=255 Same concept can be used for covering breast.
Lizzies Lair
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 04:23:41 am »

Thanks for your help Shawn. I'm really keen to see the link you posted but every time I try to view it, it comes up with an error. I looked in your gallery with no luck. Can you tell me where to find it please?

I did actually succeed in making breasts today. They aren't quite what I had envisioned but will do for now until I can get my head around how to do them properly. I took pics of them before I covered them (only a couple) in case anyone else was struggling with this. Not at all sure my methods were ideal though.
Lizzies Lair
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 04:25:52 am »

Oh, and the error message reads 'The action you attempted is not permitted'.
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 06:26:04 am »

Sorry about that. You should be able to access it now. Seems I had the permissions set wrong. I'll go ahead and embed the images here also.
 nose2  nose3  nose4
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up