Puppets and Stuff
Pages: [1]   Go Down
The Complete Book of Puppetry  (Read 40995 times)
Billy D. Fuller
« on: May 15, 2009, 04:32:26 pm »

The Complete Book of Puppetry

gompie
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 12:45:31 am »

I just received it. I think book has a lot of information but for me as a not English speaking person I have to read parts several times to understand it. Puppethistory of America I don't know a lot of the history of America so I don't recognise a lot.
BoozeBandPuppets
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 02:42:52 pm »

I notice there are a few books on how to make puppets, but are there any recommended books on improving hand puppet technique? Making the movements more believable and just giving them better gestures? I've been watching a lot of Muppet Show episodes and trying to figure out why they are so good. Is it like acting, just a lot of practice and trial and error or are there corners of the internet that have the tips and tricks?! Having read that back, it maybe like typing 'make me a billionaire' into Google... :/ 
pagestep007
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 01:05:16 am »

BBP, I have a behind the scenes vid with Jim Henson saying how it usually takes at least a year for a puppeteer to get used to basic technique enough to start 'acting'. I would agree(maybe even two years if you are not doing it constantly). You need to practice a lot so that lip sinc, positioning and camera/monitor sense are automatic, because initially it takes so much brain power and coordination to do that, that you can't concentrate well on the performance. When it finally comes automatic you can put more into the performance. And when you take a break, you get rusty very quickly, as I am finding out now.
BoozeBandPuppets
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 01:49:27 am »

Thanks pagestep, I knew deep down there wasn't a 'quick fix' answer to that! I will just keep watching videos and keep practicing! I know what you mean about being rusty - I had a month off from the Band over Christmas this year, when I picked up the drum sticks it felt like someone had told me they were bagpipes :D
MsPuppet
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 08:26:23 pm »

Amanda Cowles teaches classes on making your puppets "real." She teaches at some Creative Ministry solutions Festivals as well as MAX. Go to the CMS website and see if you can order a DVD of her class. I took it a couple years ago at I-fest and it was great. Lots of tips and ideas. She is an awesome puppeteer.
C16thFoxe
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 09:11:02 pm »

Do a Google search for a "Puppetry" .pdf file by Lisa Bean (or cut and paste the following: education.byu.edu/arts/documents/LisaBeanPuppetry.pdf). Relevant pages are: pp. 7-11 and pp. 13-14.

Regards,
Dorian
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:15:34 pm by C16thFoxe »
Angel in Tx
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 11:17:53 am »

I have a DVD called "Bringing Your Puppet to Life" by Dave Privett.  You can purchase it at playsoup.com
Very helpful!
StiqPuppet Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 03:20:12 pm »

I think you would be better at looking at purchasing DVD's...it is really hard to learn how to ACT through a book it is something u have to see in motion then develop it from there.  There has been a good DVD mentioned above and plenty more if u so a search...you can pick out a few and see if anyone has any feedback on the DVD.  Good luck with learning!

Stiq  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up