Puppets and Stuff
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
black light books  (Read 29506 times)
gompie
« on: May 26, 2009, 01:31:17 pm »

are there books about black light performance. A book with tips on how to make the lamps, what kind of lamps, stage materials, clothing of the puppeteers. I know the book "Let there be...black light" are there more. Are there more?
jomama
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 04:22:50 pm »

The only book I know about is "Let There Be.. Blacklight". I have done a lot of blacklight puppetry and have actually designed a large light. Hmmmm, maybe I should write a book. But for now you need to have several blacklights. You need to have sufficient lights to cover your stage area. You need to light from the front  as well as above. Your stage curtains need to be mat black, not shiney, and either lined or thick enough to stop any light from showing through. The puppeteers need to be dressed entirely in black. Almost any black will work EXCEPT black denim. The white weave in the fabric will flouresce. Black hoods, which you can either buy at halloween, or make yourself, are an essential part of BL puppetry. Don't forget that all parts of your skin must be covered or it will show up in blacklight.

Blacklight can be an outstanding special effect and it hides a lot of basic puppetry mistakes, BUT there is no substitute for good puppetry. It is fun and exciting to do blacklight but don't do it just to do blacklight. Use blacklight to enhance your performance and do the things you wouldn't normally be able to do in white light.

I think I'll start on that book.

Sue
gompie
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 12:14:18 am »

and your glasses how do you do that ? I have one.
First I have to learn more about puppetry. This Autumn we start a new and different children's work in our church. (promise land maybe you know it) And we begin with puppets too, as a part of the kids work. (in all kinds of puppetry) I want to set up the puppetry (exciting an fearful)
What I'm thinking now is to use black light as a part in the performance. For a sample when the puppet  is dreaming in the night.
But for now I want to know how it works, what we need. When we are going to do we need preparation first.
Thanks for your answer. Here in Holland we don't know it so let me be the first one.
And if you write a book or just put it on paper and sell it on your site let me know....
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:28:48 am by gompie »
jomama
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 06:22:55 am »

and your glasses how do you do that ? I have one.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this question. 
Using blacklight in a dream sequence is a great way to start. I'll help you in any way that I can.

sue
gompie
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 01:19:34 pm »

I have glasses for my eyes. I can imagine that light reflects on glasses too
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 03:21:38 pm »

If you are doing blacklight work gompie you should be wearing a black hood over your head. The black hood has a see through screen (light weight black fabric) on the face.  That should keep your glasses from reflecting.
gompie
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 10:53:24 pm »

I never seen it here. And you are a little bit to far away to came and see. I saw the video's on you tube and I love it........
Na
No Avatar
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 08:54:36 am »

Gompie, if you've ever seen the Japanese puppetry, bunraku, they also use these black hoods. (I also wear glasses, and have used these hoods before. It's a good idea to make the top of the hood stick out a bit in front of your face, because I found that the material was uncomfortably brushing against my face the whole time)
gompie
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 02:37:10 pm »

No I haven't but I think I seen something like the hood in films here on tv.
LSNELL
No Avatar
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 12:52:48 pm »

Hi I'm Linda.  I head up my church's Puppet Ministry.  We are starting into black light puppets.  I love to get free patterns and more info on black light puppets.
lovable puppet pals
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 08:55:25 am »

We have put together our own blacklights, without having to spend a lot of money on professional ones.  Of course some day... Smile ...but for now this works.

1.  48" shop light from Menards or other
     *  spray paint entire outside of fixture with black paint
2.  2, 48" blacklight bulbs

Having your lights up above the stage is the best way to not have shadows, but we used them for years, simply propped up on the floor.

If you can have them up higher, you can make a simple stand to mount them on.  This is what we made, although, we only used wood for now, until we can afford something better:
http://www.puppetproductions.com/blacklightessay/howto.htm

Hope that gives you some ideas!  Smile
Sara
Angel in Tx
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 08:21:01 pm »

Sara;

We are doing blacklight shows with our lights on the floor.  I looked at your essay, but I don’t understand where the stand is placed.  In the stage?  In front? Behind?  Which way do the lights face?  The audience or the puppets? Undecided
We don’t really use many traditional puppets in our shows, but a lot of props and costumes. 
Also, if you have this stand in front of the stage what about it getting in the way of things we toss or “fly”.

Sorry if this is too many questions.  Just trying to understand how to use this.  I want our shows to look as good as possible.

God bless! wave
Angel in TX
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 08:16:42 am »

Angel,

I am sure that Sara will be by to answer also but thought I would chime in. Smiley  The lights must be in front of the puppets/actors and pointed toward them.  If you think in the terms of traditional theater then the lights would be your proscenium and they would face upstage toward your actors.  If this can't work for you then you can also hand the lights vertically and place them stage right and stage left on your proscenium line and point them toward your actors/puppets. In fact a combination of both or all three locations (top. side and floor) gives you the best coverage if you are actually lighting a full stage with actors although could be overkill if you are working with puppets on a smaller scale.
Angel in Tx
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 03:16:57 pm »

Shawn,
This make perfect sense to me.  Which is why I can't visualize how she is using the stand she made.  It is so tall.  The only thing I can think of is that it stands on the ground – audience level – and lights upward if the show were being performed on an actual raised stage or platform.  And if that is the case, I can't understand the difference of them just being on the floor, as far as position of lighting goes.  I can see how the stand could keep the cords and things out of the way.  

My first thought after looking at the lighting frame was that is was supposed to be behind the puppet stage curtain, and it seemed as if it would still be in the way and no different than hanging the lights from the actual curtained stage pipe with “s” hooks or some other method.

We perform many times just on a gym floor or on the level of the audience, so we aren't elevated on a stage.  It can be a bit confusing because in my previous post I refered to “stage” and I was thinking of a puppet curtain stage, not an elevated platform stage.

A little confusing.  I need a larger vocab for this stuff!  I had to look up “proscenium”.  Thanks for teaching me something today!

Angel in TX
Billy D. Fuller
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 04:10:50 pm »

A little confusing.  I need a larger vocab for this stuff!  I had to look up “proscenium”.  Thanks for teaching me something today!

Angel in TX

What does it mean?

Billy D.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up