Puppets and Stuff
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Restored and customized My Little Pony (big pictures.)  (Read 8412 times)
LuckyCat
« on: May 28, 2009, 11:03:11 am »

Hi folks. I thought I'd show this girl off.
This was for a "Beast to Beauty" contest where the goal was to take an original beat up pony and make her beautiful.
Here is the "bait" pony doll I started with:

Notice the complete lack of a front right leg, the missing ears, the hole in the head and the horrible condition of the flocking.
This is what the doll looked like after I prepped it for restoration and customizing. I used 100% pure acetone to remove the flocking and paint.

Here's a mid-restoration pic. I used Aves' Apoxie Sculpt / Fixit-Sculpt epoxy clay to re-create the missing parts.

And here is the final restored and beautified pony:

I used Fixit-Sculpt for the belt and dress (which was made so the pony could stand. It originally had a plastic base that was not included with the bait pony.) It was painted with Ceramcoat and given a matte coat of Mod-Podge, and the mane and tail were re-rooted with nylon hair from Dollyhair.com (a great site, imho.)

Hope you enjoyed the pics~
VampireWombat
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 11:44:21 am »

Nicely done.
I do admit that I know very little about My Little Pony customization. Normally all I see is stuff someone does on Deviantart making them into horrorish things like zombies or Xenoforms (from the Alien movies).
Yours is definitely much more refined.
Billy D. Fuller
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 11:48:36 am »

Great Job.................... I like the finished look. I have also seen Barbies restored like this.

Billy D.
SHould
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 12:41:47 pm »

Hi LuckyCat,

Wow,  you really did a great job! I am impressed with the result. Even better than the original, even before it got all  mangled and destroyed. Great job!
gompie
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 02:41:05 pm »

it looks great that you can repair it. Never heard of it.
StiqPuppet Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 02:58:23 pm »

Wow what nice work.....you really make them shine even though they start out as a piece of coal.....thanks for sharing your talents with us.

Daryl H
LuckyCat
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 03:00:24 pm »

Nicely done.
I do admit that I know very little about My Little Pony customization. Normally all I see is stuff someone does on Deviantart making them into horrorish things like zombies or Xenoforms (from the Alien movies).
Yours is definitely much more refined.
Ha ha, I actually have 2 of the more-often "hit" xenomorphs on Deviantart (my username there is Eruna.) I liked this particular pony because I was able to employ a lot of real restorative techniques.
jomama
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 03:01:03 pm »

WOW!!! Excellent work. You definitely made a Beauty out of a Beast.

Sue
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 03:10:58 pm »

I'm impressed!  I am glad you shared the process with us.  I had not hear of FixIt Sculpt so did a google search. Smiley
http://www.avesstudio.com/html/fixit_sculpt.html  It looks like a pretty cool product.   Are the final results plastic like?
LJ
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 03:31:28 pm »

What a wonderful restoration! I probably would have just tossed it!  Thanks for sharing!! spin
LuckyCat
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 06:15:01 pm »

I'm impressed!  I am glad you shared the process with us.  I had not hear of FixIt Sculpt so did a google search. Smiley
http://www.avesstudio.com/html/fixit_sculpt.html  It looks like a pretty cool product.   Are the final results plastic like?

Shawn, I can't say enough positive things about Aves' Apoxie Sculpt and Fixit Sculpt. (Fixit has a longer working time and is less putty-like than Apoxie sculpt, but they both have the same basic properties.)

To answer your question, no, the results are not quite plastic, in that there is 0% flexibility and it is much heavier than plastic. however, in the case of restorations, it does blend seamlessly and will bond to plastic. After cured, it can be carved and sanded, but carving is difficult because it is very hard material. I like it better than Sculpey because you don't have to bake it (it chemically cures) it has a very very low shrinkage rate (about 0.01% or something like that) and is very strong. I have dropped cured pieces that would've shattered if they had been made of Sculpey. Seriously, this stuff is strong. The only thing that I like better about Sculpey is its ability to hold detail, as Apoxie tends to self-level slightly, softening sharp details. This can be partially avoided by waiting until the Apoxie begins to cure before adding details. i just love the stuff Smiley
StiqPuppet Productions
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 10:27:30 am »

Nice info thanks for sharing your experience with the material. Smiley

Daryl H
Pages: [1]   Go Up