Puppets and Stuff
Pages: [1]   Go Down
What is the best cam for a puppet show?  (Read 7183 times)
Serenity Frost
No Avatar
« on: May 25, 2010, 04:13:15 pm »

I want to do a review show that's hosted by my puppet. The shtick is that she's hosting the show and I'm her assistant who sits slightly off camera reading a book, however I'm not actually reading I'm watching my puppets movements on my laptop off screen. I have a generic webcam I planned on using for this, but it has motion blurr. What's the best webcam (or even camcorder) for what I'm trying to do? Also, I hide a mic under my scarf which I use to cover my mouth so that you don't see my moving lips (I've tried to vent for three years and haven't managed to even remotely master it) so I don't use the webcam's audio.
Serenity Frost
No Avatar
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 07:42:27 pm »

I've found what I think is a pretty nice one for about 70$. Logitech 2 MP HD Webcam Pro 9000. I'm going to test it out and see how it runs, but the youtube vids I've seen are promising.
Billy D. Fuller
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:54:26 pm »

I forgot the one Shawn has................. maybe he will stop by and comment. I'm not good at video equipment. I just have the one on my HP touch smart. I did look at the reviews
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam_communications/webcams/devices/6333

Billy D.
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 06:09:09 am »

Sounds like you found a good one Serenity. All my webcams are Logitech and I have been happy with them.

I wouldn't worry about your mouth moving or being seen. There have been many puppeteers that didn't bother about. Remember Wayland Flowers? http://www.madameandme.com/wayland.htm  You may be too young for that. Smiley
Serenity Frost
No Avatar
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 10:48:34 am »

A little bit, but I do know who you're talking about. Still, bit sort of requires that I be a different person from the puppet.
Gabriel G
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 11:46:10 am »

I've used just my Sony CyberShot S700 digital camera for lower quality videos that I just want to host online or see on my computer.

I uploaded one that I put together quickly and you can see it here just to get an idea of the quality: Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1n-dTJtGn8

Hope this helps!
Serenity Frost
No Avatar
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 01:03:59 pm »

It was, thanks! The illustrations were adorable too.
ariella
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 07:51:17 am »

most DV cameras can stream via firewire, depending on the software you're using. =]
DrPuppet
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 08:48:09 am »

I use two different cameras, a GL2 from Cannon and a cheap 100 dollar HD camera that is suprisingly awsome as long as its well lit. The HD is really nice for green screen!! Plus since its HD if the webcast show is being shown on youtube or whatever you dont need much over 720 by 480 so the HD becomes two shots a wide and a med to closeup. I use an audio technica shotgun mic for my stuff.

Shawn did Wayland Flowers pass away, I miss Madam!

Drpuppet
Billy D. Fuller
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 09:10:51 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_Flowers
DrPuppet
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 10:21:23 am »

Ahh thats such a shame I thought he was still around for some reason. You know I think its because I saw a few years ago some one bringing Madam back?? Did anyone else hear that?

Drpuppet (Jay)
DrPuppet
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 10:23:09 am »

Well I suppose I should have read all the way to end of the page before i posted. So Joe Kovacs did him starting in 08. Thats good she is still around. I loved Madam she was hysterical.

J
ariella
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 11:39:40 am »

yeah, thats another thing too! lighting is key. sometimes [or most times] good lighting can make a bad camera awesome. also, watch the rate at which you stream so you don't stream choppy. what program are you using?
DrPuppet
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 12:28:58 pm »

I edit with Premier and then use apples ipod compression since we are basically making a video podcast.

J
Pages: [1]   Go Up