Puppets and Stuff
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Tube (pool noodle) puppets  (Read 29089 times)
Patmur
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 07:15:44 pm »

Thanks for trying to cypher. The long is the torso. I am making 2 so the short ones are the bottom arm sections with the dowels in place fir both guys. The short rods coming out of the torso are shoulder & hip joints. It is 1/2" pvc coming all the way thru. I plan to thread webbing thru that to attach arms. I also looped webbing around it & csme out if the back for the neck strap. I plan to attach a waist strap kind of like I did for Stringbean legs. Also, I already tried the foam wrap & liked the effect. I did the heads & attach a pic. Any suggestions are valued!!!
Patmur
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 07:23:57 pm »

Foam wrapped heads
Patmur
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 08:28:31 am »

I have discovered that the foam "hides" the gorilla tape I use for support.  Under blacklight the tape makes a light shadow on the fleece because the noodles are always a lighter color and not dark gray like pipe insulation.  I know I will have to hand sew the fleece on instead of sliding on a tube but I think I will have better support under the foam.
Patmur
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 06:02:49 am »

Here is a pic of my finished "Noobie".  Thank you for the pvc idea!
galofdreams
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 08:54:35 pm »

Looks like a fun project.  \Dancing   Will it be manipulated from behind or as a marionette?
Patmur
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 11:36:38 am »

It is adult sized and will be strapped onto the puppeteer.  One to work the body and one to work the head or one person can do body and one arm and head.  The other arm will swing free.
Deb
No Avatar
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2016, 02:26:48 pm »

Hi, I am trying to learn how to make the Pool noodle Noobie puppet. I found your forum and wanted to ask how you made the legs and arms bed able for dancing?  Also why do you cover them with cloth?  Do the pool noodles themselves not shine good under black light?  church drama team.
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2016, 05:48:12 am »

Welcome Deb to Puppets and Stuff. I think if you look back through the other post on this thread starting on the first page, that you'll see how the legs and arms where made. This is a very old thread that was last posted to in 2014 so not sure if the original posters are still around and checking the site. I know that at least Patmur who posted last to this thread had made the puppet not using pool noodle but a modified version that used plain foam, so I assume that is why she covered the foam. If the pool noddles you find are the right color and glow well under black light I see no reason why you would have to cover them. That being said a covering would help prolong their life I would think.
Patmur
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 02:25:19 pm »

Thanks Shawn.  I do not get to check in as frequently as I used to.
I did use pool noodles as the "core" of each piece but they were not "fat" enough for me (and did not glow).  So I added some foam to make them bigger and covered with fabric to glow.  That was the size we wanted so that being said it is strictly done according to your needs and expectations.  The legs only bend at the knee which is strapped to the Puppeteers knee. We have used them lots of times and they work great.  Because they are homemade, with a skeleton of PVC & 1/2" black webbing, they are heavy, so it is usually used by our older Puppeteers. But they are definitely a favorite!
The Director
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2016, 07:41:40 pm »

Nice.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up