Puppets and Stuff
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
uglymug ventriloquist mask!!!  (Read 21427 times)
Snail
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 08:52:35 pm »

There is no better recommendation than you like it and have used it with success.  Can't wait to see the colors on them.
Allan McConnell
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 01:12:24 pm »

Yes, you have understood its use exactly, you provide the voice and mouth movement, which is funny anyway, but that together with them squirming onstage and their eyes and eyebrows showing expression really adds to the hilarity of the act. mine are attached to the head via two soft elasticated straps, one that goes over the crown of the head and the other that goes around the back of the head at the top of the neck, so that it holds it onto the face and supports its minimal weight upwards. my masks are coated with a layer that seals in everything, so toxicity is not an issue, however the products I use to make these masks are not toxic anyway.

In answer to your question about viable other products being an option, you probably could 3d print these, but the weight would be a slight issue unless you printed it really thin, however you wouldn't get the smooth finish and detail, but I have in the past experimented with vacuum forming ventriloquists masks and re-enforcing the thin plastic, but you really cant beat the detail and strength to weight ratio that 'glass reinforced plastic/fibre-glassing' gives you as my masks are only a few milimeters thick, but very light and strong.

I have seen these acts on a comedy show and they are hilarious to watch. The victims or volunteer can really be put in a spot and expressions and well timed script makes it so funny.

The masks you have made look so much like the originals. Will they be air operated or cable?
jeezbo
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 05:17:15 am »

Yes, a talented performer could make using a ventriloquist mask an amazing piece of comedy, I origionally saw an act by Wayne Dobson on the royal variety show where he didn't use masks, but provided the voices and it was hilarious, then I saw people like Paul Zerdin, Lou Hilario, Wanlu Lunaria, etc.. all using masks of their own design and loved the thought of doing the same and so I did!

I haven't got any pictures of the last batch I created because stupidly I forgot to take pictures and the last 5 sold out at lightning speed, but I do however have one of my masks that I allowed some of my students at the puppet creation class I run in Nottingham to experiment using different products on it. they created holes just to fill them, sanded down areas to build them up again, etc.. it was a lot of fun mess and the mask looks a bit scruffy, but they had a great time and learned a lot. we also quickly mocked up an inner mouth piece out of foam as I didn't bring it along in order for the students to see the mechanism and its workings, but you get the idea!!

The masks are all controlled using Teflon coated brake cable inside a Teflon lined cable sheath via a control handle of my design too.
jeezbo
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 05:19:55 am »

oops, forgot to add the pictures!! sorry if the pictures are a little askew or not upright, I am not a techno wiz!!

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 02:39:44 pm by Shawn Sorrell, Reason: Fixed image »
jeezbo
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 03:44:16 am »

Just thought I would post up a picture of one of my Chatterbox ventriloquist masks all painted and ready to be sealed with matt lacquer, I hope you like it!! The little thing you see sticking out of the side of the cheek is a little retainer bolt, its just there temporarily so that I can remove the jaw to properly lacquer that separately from the rest of the mask in order to do a proper job of getting every surface, nook and cranny!!

Snail
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 12:56:19 pm »

Wow that is so great! The shading on the paint job and the inner mouth look wonderful. You did good.
jeezbo
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 04:25:37 am »

Thank you so much snail, I really appreciate the feedback, its always hard to know if it looks any good to other people as I'm so close to the project that sometimes I need a someone to say whether it looks good or not, so you have made me very happy today!!
whale69
No Avatar
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 06:04:40 pm »

Hi.... i want to know how to make your mask.
to buy is to expensive. thanks
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up