Puppets and Stuff
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Mouth plate straps  (Read 7790 times)
Angel in Tx
« on: September 05, 2011, 07:43:03 pm »

I like using elastic for a quick grip in mouth plates.  I usually attach them with brads but I ran out and won't be able to pick some up for a few days.
Any other ideas on how to attach them?  I use foam core for the plates.  If I cut a slit in the foam core and put the elastic through the slit and hot glue it, will it hold for the long haul?

Any other ideas?

It seems that lots of info is shared about every other part of puppet making, but mouth plates seem to be "hush hush".  Is it just me?

Okay, enough questions! LOL Wink
MsPuppet
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 10:06:40 pm »

There is a thread (an old one) on mouth plates. I am sure Billy can bring it right up, he is so good at finding things.

You can use rivets. I like them better than brads.  Tandy Leather is the best place to find them.
jeezbo
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 03:30:19 am »

I wouldnt have said that info on mouth plates was 'hush hush', just everyone is different in thier approach. i mainly use foam core or gasket rubber for mouth plates, if i am using foam core, i create pockets for the hand to go into rather than elasticated straps, but i dont see why the strap wouldnt hold if it was attatched to the other side of the plate securely, however if i am using gasket rubber or leather, then i usually use a small rivet like connection to keep it all together and to maintain that it will last a very long time.
Angel in Tx
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 06:52:44 am »

I searched the threads for mouth plates and read some good ideas.  I was just looking for a quick fix.  I am working on our annual black light show stuff so they are things that don't get heavy use, in this case a clam.  I needed an idea so I could finish it and move on to the next thing.  I decided to cut the slits and run the elastic through.  It seems very strong for now, but we'll see after the kids work with it for a while.
Billy D. Fuller
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 07:01:34 am »

There is a thread (an old one) on mouth plates. I am sure Billy can bring it right up, he is so good at finding things.

You can use rivets. I like them better than brads.  Tandy Leather is the best place to find them.

There are a lot of threads on mouth plate construction. Using the search box located at the top of the main page.... click on advanced search... in the search box put mouth plates... then put my name Billy D. Fuller in the user box. The reason for this is I try to make a comment to every topic not for popularity but to help me in future searches. there were so many I didn't see any need to re-post them.
Billy D. Fuller
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 07:08:44 am »

I searched the threads for mouth plates and read some good ideas.  I was just looking for a quick fix.  I am working on our annual black light show stuff so they are things that don't get heavy use, in this case a clam.  I needed an idea so I could finish it and move on to the next thing.  I decided to cut the slits and run the elastic through.  It seems very strong for now, but we'll see after the kids work with it for a while.

Could you use the brass paper fasteners that you use to hold notebook paper together. You know the ones that separate at the bottom holding your notebook paper together. You could then tape the bottom to the mouth plate. you can find these at office and school supplies.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:12:13 am by Billy D. Fuller »
Angel in Tx
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 07:17:18 am »

Billy, those are the "brads" I was referring too which I am out of! :D
Billy D. Fuller
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 07:23:45 am »

Billy, those are the "brads" I was referring too which I am out of! :D

I'm sorry I thought you were referring to what I use........... the brad rivets you use to make leather belts with. I thought the paper rivets would be a alternative. Back to the drawing board. I guess you could always punch small holes into the gator board and hand stitch it on.

These are the leather brads you just hammer together
http://stores.ebay.com/stecksstore/SNAPS-/_i.html?_fsub=6467902&_sid=161772654&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:28:15 am by Billy D. Fuller »
Angel in Tx
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 07:28:32 am »

It's okay, I guess we all use terms that can be confusing.  All the suggestions are good, the thing is, I'm in the country and can't just "run to the store"  the nearest Wal-Mart to me is almost 30 miles!  So that is why I was asking for alternative ideas.  I will be sure to stock up when I get the chance.
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 08:30:06 am »

Angel.  I've used a method similar to what you describe and I think it should hold up just fine.  I don't see that there would be any more stress or wear and tear then there would be with the brads.
MsPuppet
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 01:48:20 pm »

Angel, have you tried putting a sphere or something in the mouth to grip, rather than the straps?  I use the gasket rubber instead of straps in some of my puppets. In others I use a "sphere." 
Angel in Tx
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 01:57:12 pm »

I have not tried a sphere.  I do put a little "bump" of foam under the strap.  I actually use a piece of the foam that you use to cover pipes with.  I cut it about 3 inches long and then cut a slice out of it and fasten it to the mouth plate then put the strap over that.

I'm interested in the sphere idea.  Can you tell me what you use and how you use it?
Angel in Tx
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 01:57:52 pm »

Correction, I don't know if it's 3 inches, I just eyeball it! LOL
Animal31
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 02:03:35 pm »

I make a pocket on the bottom and on the top I either wrap an elastic strap around a piece of foam sized to my hand and glue it, or build a similar pocket on the top if I have the room in the head.

I know some people use the insulation foam as well and make finger holes on top and bottom. What does everyone use for the mouthplate itself, say for something like Elmo or Ernie where the mouth is stiffer?
Angel in Tx
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 02:05:47 pm »

I have tried the finger tube method shown on "The Foam Book" DVD.  My puppeteers didn't like it and the tubes sometimes came unglued.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up