Puppets and Stuff
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
Fox puppets  (Read 18854 times)
Tioh
« on: September 23, 2012, 07:05:28 am »

I made the fox hand-puppets for the Eurofurence 18 Pawpet-show (an over 2 hours long show). My rat-puppet got a role in the show too.

The mouth is played with the puppeteer's hand. Eyelids and ears are moveable and can be controlled via Bowden cables.
https://youtu.be/T4_yOBLDvSE
The heads were made with foam and plastic mesh. Teeth and nose are hand-sculpted with Plaast (a polycaprolactone - biodegradable polyester with a low melting point of around 63°C).

The eyes have LEDs in them that, but we did not need those for the show - so I did not install the batteries and switches. The bodies are made of foam and hollow.

The puppets can be played thru the back of the neck or the body. The arms and legs are built with flexible joints. The hands have a bendable steel wire in them. The hands are connected to aluminium rods. There is a metal disc attached to one finger in each hand that can be used to attach props with magnets.
https://youtu.be/vYTJNlXI9IY

I made a lot of photos during the construction and several patterns too. If anyone is interested I can share them.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:14:24 am by Tioh »
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 07:39:45 am »

They look and move great! Yes of course we would love to see pics of the build process and the patterns. Nice work congratulations.
Tioh
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 08:08:21 am »

Pattern for the body:

Foam body:

Hands:

Hand-grip for the bowden cables:

Metal disk attached to a cable tie:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:34:06 am by Tioh »
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 09:01:50 am »

Sweet! I like your design/pattern for the body. I can see that it would allow for some really nice movement. Thanks for posting these! Always love to the see the inner workings of a puppet.
cristina1984
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 08:45:23 am »

They're wonderful!! I really like the one with blue eyes...Congratulations, you've done a very good job!
regards from Spain!
Lizzies Lair
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 04:37:43 am »

These really are so incredibly stunning. I am in total awe of you. Fabulous work!
jeezbo
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 04:53:03 am »

I think you have totally outdone yourself, as they are amazing and they kind of remind me of 'the mongrels' from british t.v., you should totally think of putting together an instructional DVD or something to teach people how you build your puppets and the mechanisms, i would totally buy it and i know i would gain alot from the methods you use to create your puppets as they are so different to what most of us do to make our creations!!! id love to learn a few things from a great fursuit maker, and im sure others would too. im going to have to stop feeling so jealous of your fantastic work now!!
Angel in Tx
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 06:02:21 am »

I am in awe!  They are wonderful!!!
Tioh
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 02:27:25 pm »

Eyes (ping-pong-balls) with movable plastic eyelids:

I build the eyelids by modelling plaast (polycaprolactone) around a metal ball that has the same diameter as the eyes.

The teeth are made by modelling plaast around a metal pin (each tooth separately - the pin was used to get a better grip on the material). I reheated the base of each tooth and attached it to the jaw.

I glued the fur to the head working from the nose to the back of the head (sewed the fur where I wanted to trim it - to hide the seams):

Many hairstyles were tried to find out what looks best (I pinned it on before glueing it):

I painted the eyelids and trimmed the fur:

Cut the long NFT-stretchfur:

Added eyebrows and eyelashes (glued the brown fur directly to the backing of the white fur):

(The fur on her ears was trimmed later)

Some random puppet photos:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:34:54 am by Tioh »
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 04:45:56 pm »

So is the nose plaast also?  Great work!  The teeth are really cool looking.  You're an Artist.
cristina1984
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 03:03:52 am »

They are sooooo beautiful and cute! You've done a great job!
The Director
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 07:27:02 am »

These are wonderful.  I'd like to see them used in some video productions as they have a great screen presense.  I'm assuming they are mostly used in live shows.
Shunaka
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 11:06:57 am »

Hey Tioh,

It was great meeting you and the other Eurofurence puppeteers at Rainfurrest!  Your Fox puppet is awesome, great work!

Shunaka
Tioh
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 05:28:21 am »

So is the nose plaast also?  Great work!  The teeth are really cool looking.  You're an Artist.

I used MagicPlastic for the nose (another brand, but a similar material - only with pigments added).
Tioh
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 05:34:09 am »

These are wonderful.  I'd like to see them used in some video productions as they have a great screen presense.  I'm assuming they are mostly used in live shows.

A pre-recorded scene from the show (dream sequence that was shown between two acts):

EF18 Pawpetshow - Immortality

A unofficial recording of the whole show is on youtube too.
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 07:30:56 pm »

They look great in action an on video!  Tried to find the full show on YouTube but couldn't find it. Was it under your account?
pagestep007
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 09:49:21 pm »

very  beautiful....  (how did you do the smoke in the vid?)
Tioh
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 11:55:11 am »

They look great in action an on video!  Tried to find the full show on YouTube but couldn't find it. Was it under your account?

very  beautiful....  (how did you do the smoke in the vid?)

I made only the puppets and the statue - not the videos. 

The whole EF18 Pawpet Show (unofficial recording):

Eurofurence 18 Paw Pet Show "Pompeii" - unofficial recording - SNEAK PREVIEW
Tioh
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 12:10:09 pm »

Hey Tioh,

It was great meeting you and the other Eurofurence puppeteers at Rainfurrest!  Your Fox puppet is awesome, great work!

Shunaka

The pleasure is all mine. Unfortunately I forgot to make a video of your Tiger puppet.

My fox puppet enjoyed his vacation:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:35:34 am by Tioh »
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 05:57:28 pm »

Well done. They read really good from a distance.  I like the characters voices.  Nice work! Love the puppets.
Tioh
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 02:21:05 pm »

Pawpads - made with foam and covered in leather:

Face expressions:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:36:12 am by Tioh »
BoozeBandPuppets
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 03:35:41 pm »

The detail is amazing, truly beautiful, What are the teeth made of? They almost look like real needle sharp fox teeth!! Would have loved to have had your puppets for our video...

This is so the Fox we're lookin' for!!  wave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZrvirDOe6U
Tioh
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 01:18:52 pm »

The detail is amazing, truly beautiful, What are the teeth made of? ...

The teeth made using polycaprolactone (I bought it from http://www.plaast.de/) - a polyester with a low melting point of around 63°C. You can mould it like putty. I made each tooth separately. The easiest way to work with the material is to stick it on a smooth metal pin - this way you do not have to hold it in your hands till it cooled down. You can always reheat it if you want to change something later. I use a heat-gun.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:47:43 am by Tioh »
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 07:58:42 am »

Wow polycaprolatone is bio degradable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycaprolactone If folks are looking for the product in the US you might want to search out Thermoplastic wich I believe is the trademark name of it here in the states.
Tioh
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 02:58:23 pm »

I'm not so sure wether the brands that I use are bio degradable or not. I use the material for 5 years now - even the test-pice that lies on my window has not degraded and that's been in the sun for years.   
Tioh
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 03:02:00 pm »

Other brands for the plastic:
  • Hand Moldable Plastic
  • Mold-Your-Own Grips
  • InstaMorph
  • Shapelock
  • Polymorph

I haven't tried those - they should work like Plaast.

There is also Friendly Plastic, but I've seen several projects where it crumbled after one year.
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 10:27:13 pm »

I've used Friendly Plastic and have not had a problem with it crumbling but is is very sensitive to heat. Even leaving a piece setting in the sun can misshape it if you have formed it into a shape.  Make sure anything made with it is stored in a cool place.
BoozeBandPuppets
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 03:25:04 am »

This is great, those teeth look excellent! I have never done anything with these kinds of materials. Sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Will have to think of an excuse to try some of these out!
Murphysworld
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 11:42:55 am »

Cool Thing.
I ordered Plaast on Monday and I get it Today.
It is really great to work with.
Before I allways used Fimo for Teeth, Nails an so on,
but that Material is so much better to work with.
Maybe I`ll try to use it on my new Puppet I`m working
right now.
Thanks Thio for your Tip!^^
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up