Puppets and Stuff
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Question of Brazil Puppet Pattern  (Read 38796 times)
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2014, 06:26:17 am »

Thanks for keeping us updated! I like the image... it has me intrigued about the show as a whole. Smiley
Anton's Angels
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2014, 06:51:58 am »

Thanks Shawn and Na. Was great to get advice from this site on creating this puppet.I can't thank the guys who gave me advice enough! (needless to say I am addicted and am planning my next creation) She really has developed a life of her own. The show is a Cabaret. (le cirque du cabaret) The theme is about a young woman who stumbles across an abandoned circus...and it comes to life around her. Classic cabaret acts: singing,dancing, mind reading, burlesque. I play a snake oil salesman. I perform Groucho Marx's classic 'Lydia the tattooed lady' with the puppet and she does a burlesque striptease! needless to say it is an adult show. But it has proved that puppets will never go out of fashion and that adults love them as much as kids (if not more!)
Na
No Avatar
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2014, 01:28:41 am »

You're welcome! It's great being able to pay it forward - this site and the members are pretty much the sole reason I know anything about puppetry. Everyone is always so willing to share their knowledge and experiences Smiley

Have you mentioned where you are? I am thinking that there are a couple of local places that do puppet-specific cabaret, and you may want to find out when the next one is on.
CutiePie
No Avatar
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2014, 04:12:23 pm »

The brazilian puppet pattern has a stitch that forms the brow ridge.  I saw it on a video on YouTube, the puppeteer Taborda Eberson made a puppet head. He uploaded the video, it's called: AULA - COMO FAZER BONECOS - PARTE 1.  It's in five parts and it's in Portugese (I think).  It's a great video.
galofdreams
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2014, 05:58:48 pm »

Hi everyone. Just found my way back to Puppets and Stuff and was surprised to find that I remembered my password. I like what you did with the puppet pattern Anton's Angel. Your character is delightful. I also found the YouTube tutorials so fun and very helpful and I hope to get a puppet made quickly for an upcoming Puppets-in-the-Park event happening in our community this month (August). I can see from your post dates that this is old stuff for all of you, but I was hoping someone might be able to help me find the hot wire foam cutter NiceBraga used in her tutorial videos for sale in the states. I have tried building one from YouTube videos, but it never got hot enough to cut the foam. Obviously, I did something wrong (go figure that). I figure by the time I try again, and again (who knows how many times it might take me) I will probably spend as much as if I just buy one--that is if I can find one. Any ideas? 
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2014, 05:39:44 am »

You can get them direct from the manufacturer. http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/home.php
galofdreams
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2014, 10:22:48 pm »

Thanks, Shawn.
This site is a "Golden Brain Child."  Bow Down   I have found a lot of answers I didn't even know I was looking for from many of the posts.
I have contacted the Foam Factory and asked about a hot wire foam cutter that will cut foam rubber up to 2" thick. If so, which one they would suggest. I will post the response when I hear back in case anyone else is looking for one.
Thanks for your very prompt response.  Cool
Anton's Angels
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2014, 02:27:45 am »

Thanks GalofDreams. I do like the Brazil puppet pattern for its dimpled mouth..and I found that using the same pattern for the fleece covering is fine as all the seams are at the back of the head.
I've heard that an electric carving knife is also a great way for cutting foam.
ArthurS
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2014, 05:31:30 am »

I have had the pattern since I started making puppets, but never actually done one.  Inspired by this post, I am using it to make a monster plant like Audrey II in Little Shop of Horrors.  It will have working, cable-controlled limbs for arms.  Pics to follow when I get it done.  Deadline is 6 days out to make the con!
Brunokids
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2014, 09:16:25 pm »

Thanks GalofDreams. I do like the Brazil puppet pattern for its dimpled mouth..and I found that using the same pattern for the fleece covering is fine as all the seams are at the back of the head.
I've heard that an electric carving knife is also a great way for cutting foam.

Hello Anton's Angels

I saw all the comments on this thread and I could not help but make some comments here also.

Puppets Puppets of Brazil, in this case the head, body nose, ears arms, is best cut on the hand with the use of a stiletto. They have hands to get better defined ... is best to cut with the help of a Crafters Scroll Table see this site that Shawn indicated

Make the cast of the hand on a piece of cardboard, cut out and place on the piece of foam .Place pins to hold the cardboard and foam. After carefully going is only cutting the foam following the mold made with the piece of cardboard.

Now with regard to breasts doll ... I saw that you had doubts too, but managed to solve with the help of our colleagues too.

I leave here also a template that I use to make breasts of female puppets, is actually a mold bra  Embarrassed

Well ... I hope to have helped you in some way ... I really liked her character ... was quite striking and beautiful too. I loved how you built her eyes too.

A HUG
galofdreams
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2014, 10:09:14 pm »

Hi, me again. I am posting the reply I got from the Foam Factory along with my question.

Their reply:
Most foam rubber is urethane, which does not cut well with hot wire tools and gives off toxic fumes when it does cut. The only soft foam that we know of that cuts well is polyethylene foam, and it shouldn't be more than 1.7lb density. Here is a short video of some polyethylene pipe insulation being cut with the Scroll Table with a Jumper Cable attached to concentrate the heat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofdllnXI-cI&list=UU83v1HMTyFz95d4Hjk2rFAQ
We sell sheets of a similar polyethylene foam:
http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/036A2-2inArmorFoam1sheet.html
It's not as rubbery as foam rubber, but it is flexible. You can glue it with low temp hot glue, but be careful or the glue will melt right through.
Water noodles are usually made out of low density polyethylene.

Always check with the manufacturer of the foam you want to cut to be sure there are no health or safety hazards when cutting their foam with heat.

Please let us know what you end up using,
Dave Natal

This was my initial question to the Foam Factory:
Dear Sir or Madam,

I am a puppet builder.  I want a hot wire foam cutter (probably a table model) that will work with foam rubber (up to 2" thick).  All of the videos I have been able to find deal with the hard foam like model airplanes or sheets of insulation type foam.  Do you have hot wire cutters that will cut foam rubber.  If so, which cutter and power supply would you suggest.

The YouTube tutorials showing the Brazil Puppets show her using a hot wire cutter to cut out the hands and the circles for the nose so they must exist. I also sent an e-mail to Puppets Brazil, but the generated reply came back in Portuguese--I can't read it.  banghead

Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Anton's Angels
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2014, 11:59:02 pm »

Thanks Brunokid for the compliment and also the advice...I have saved your breast images for future reference: Lydia has turned out to be a popular performer on the cabaret scene. Here she is performing as the evil queen from snow white:

GalofDreams:
The brazil puppet youtube clips clearly shows that polyfoam can be shaped using a hot wire. I think it boils down to making sure the wire is sufficiently hot and that the speed of movement is right. From what I understand the hot wire doesn't actually cut the foam but melts it in front of the wire as you push it through. As with all things you need to be mindful that melting plastic will create fumes so take necessary safety steps when cutting. I've only used an exacto knife when cutting foam and my puppet was covered in fleece so the arms and hands were made from stuffed fleece so I did'nt need precision cutting tools.
kirstycrrr
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2014, 09:13:01 am »

Try putting the Portuguese reply into google translate. It usually gets a bit garbled but will normally make enough sense.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up