Puppets and Stuff
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Cosplay Sesame  (Read 7604 times)
TygerMin
« on: January 26, 2014, 09:29:14 am »

I am trying to determine what costume to work on next and am seeking some input.  I do know that I want to incorporate a puppet into it, and keep with the theme of dressing up as something that is dressing up.  

One thought is the Joker, done as a monster puppet:

My hesitation with this one is the suit, might need to save some money for it.  

The other thought is Bruno and Oscar, but I can't seem to figure out what they would dress up as.  In your opinion, who do you think Oscar would idolize enough to dress up as?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 01:33:06 pm by TygerMin »
TygerMin
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 10:56:22 am »

And after I post this, stumble upon an idea.

Oscar likes to mess with people.  So, maybe he wears a Star Trek uniform while residing in R2, and maybe I drop Bruno and Gandalf carries Oscar. 
TygerMin
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 04:17:59 pm »

Ok, I have settled on Oscar.  So, now research into creation begins.  I am having trouble locating the right fur.  The closest I have found is http://www.califabrics.com/avocado-mongolian-faux-fur/ though it isn't dark enough.  Also, for pattern, it looks like the Mostro pattern would be best from project puppet, though I would want the Borsa hand instructions as well.  Eyes look like spoon eyes.  Though, the thing that really makes Oscar is the moving eyebrow. 
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 07:18:57 am »

That looks like a pretty good match on the fur for him.  Don't forget it could actually be a bit darker. Shades and colors on the screen never match real life. Smiley  You can get a swatch of it for $1.49  if they have a min on orders get some swatches of other furs. This one says the swatch is 2" x 6".  Heck that is enough for eyebrows or a mustache on a puppet so they wouldn't be wasted.
TygerMin
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 05:04:45 pm »

Good points, swatch ordered.  Didn't see a good brown for the eyebrows, though I can find that locally.  Have finally settled on Oscar himself.  R2 would be fun, but going full Doctor Who.  Oscar will be in a poorly painted Tardis sporting a fez, bow tie, and a sonic screwdriver.  Not sure how to do Bruno yet, maybe a cheap Cyberman costume or thought about going Amy Pond in the police outfit.  Ooohh...no, the Tardis can be carried by an astronaut Smiley

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 05:09:46 pm by TygerHawks »
Snail
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 07:42:48 pm »

Ha Like the Tardis trash can, both bigger on the inside.
Na
No Avatar
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 07:47:14 pm »

Love the TARDIS idea!
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 07:22:17 am »

Great Idea! Love it! This should be a big hit.
TygerMin
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 08:51:27 am »

Thanks Smiley  Sitting at my work computer wanting to start building Smiley  I think I am going to use foam core for the Tardis, believe it might be ligt enough and easier to sculpt.  Regarding Oscar, does anyone know how many yards I might need for a Borsa type pattern?  Wont be able to buy the patterns until the end of the month, and I want to get the fabric ordered to come in around the same time. 
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 08:11:33 am »

The fur is 60 inches wide so I doubt you'll need more then two yards.  That being said I always normally purchased 2 1/2 to 3 yards of fur when ever I made a fur puppet like what you are doing.  I tend to the excess. Smiley
TygerMin
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 11:58:03 am »

Saw this, might have to be a future project! :D

Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 12:56:46 pm »

That's pretty funny. Smiley
TygerMin
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2016, 10:51:23 am »

Two years later, and I am finally working on this guy.  Wow, I am a slacker :D  I have some plastic lids that I think will be used for the eyes.

TygerMin
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 09:38:46 am »

His face is on Smiley

His head is the melonhead pattern from Project Puppet, enlarged 250%.

Eyes are cut out of a plastic lid using a printed picture of Oscar as a template.  

Mouth is sewn together black plastic canvas which gives a decent view.  
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 07:50:50 am »

Pretty cool!  For some reason I was thinking he was a hand in mouth puppet not a walk around puppet.  I should have realized really and you most likely mentioned it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up