Puppets and Stuff
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Where do you find foam in your area?  (Read 39998 times)
shoogles
No Avatar
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2009, 11:57:55 am »

Thanks Miguel :D  I guess there is no one from the uk here then that can recommend a foam supplier or a particularly beginner friendly foam?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 12:01:30 pm by shoogles »
StiqPuppet Productions
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2009, 12:15:45 pm »

I would suggest contacting a puppet maker in your area or city or province and see where they get there's.....as well do you have the Yellow pages (business pages) look up "foam shops" you will sometimes be surprised at what you find.

Hope this helps......

Daryl H
shoogles
No Avatar
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2009, 12:30:12 pm »

Thanks

I have been in contact with a number of puppet makers that I have found in the UK, but not much luck in getting replies unfortunately.

I have looked for foam suppliers in the UK but i'm a bit overwhelmed with the choice and not sure what I should be going for as a beginner?
StiqPuppet Productions
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 12:33:33 pm »

call them and see if any deal with puppet makers and see what they usually buy from them....this might help you with the details.  Trust me it is never easy to find resources for the making materials it is a job in itself.

Daryl  H

Chris Arveson
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2009, 12:50:25 pm »

Might I suggest that you check your phone directory, or do an internet search for upholsterers or upholstery supplies. Even if they don't carry what you need, they might be able to send you in the right direction.
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2009, 05:19:42 pm »

Buy the cheap kind at the foam stores you have found.  Smiley  Ok I know that some may be very picky about the grade, weight and composition of their foam (even I have my favorites) but heck it is all foam!  Don't let that bog you down or stop you.  If you have craft or fabric stores see if they have some.  Hear in the US craft and fabric stores carry foam that is fine for puppet making. Could be the same in the UK.  Like I said I have my favorite foams but I use all kinds to make puppets. 
Ellie_rose891
No Avatar
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 12:49:14 pm »

I live in the south of England and I have found the cheapest place to buy good quality foam is right int he heart of London - pentonville foam on pentonville lane!  There are also tons of foam outlets in High Wycombe which is in the South East. 

xxx
Monkey
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2009, 02:25:22 am »

I get my foam at an auto Fabric shop here in Rialto California. He has a fairly wide variety ar reasonable prices.(J&J auto Fabrics, on the off chance that someone might live in the area)
frankiel
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 01:17:20 pm »

I brought some foam from here really cheap! It's also good as you can decide on your exact size of foam you need!
http://www.thefoamshop.co.uk/product/254-35/BUDGET-FOAM-CUT-TO-SIZE

It worked well for my puppets i have been making with the roly pattern!
Sunbeatle Puppets
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 01:27:36 pm »

I bought my upholetery foam from the 'online fabric store'
http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/
it ships everywhere in the U.S. but its cheapest to ship to New England
nall29
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2010, 09:51:14 pm »

i use benfranklin crafts, but all they have is 1 inch foam. ive just been using it whole. but on my last puppet i sliced it in half with a razor blade. i dont recommend it though its hard to do and it takes along time and its not even after slicing. hope this helps Smiley
MsPuppet
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2010, 10:17:34 pm »

I need 1/2" foam that is denser (is that a word) than the green foam at Joanns.  
Anyone have any idea what I need to ask for?
Shawn Sorrell
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2010, 07:28:41 am »

Ask for EVA or high density foam. It is what I use for body characters and even some styles or hand puppets. On hand puppets I use 2lb 1/2" and on body chareter you can increase to 4lb or even the 1".
ct puppet
No Avatar
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2011, 04:51:12 am »

If your in the ct area google new england foam they have all sorts of foam but there is a 150 dollar min order.
Billy D. Fuller
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2011, 06:26:01 pm »

I'm looking for a new foam supplier near or around South Carolina. I've ordered from Southeastern foam in N.C. ( not interested) and my last order came from Albany foam. I ordered two 50 foot rolls of 24" wide X 1/2" The foam was flat in the center and never regained it's shape. So I don't want to order from them anymore. Another problem is I like to know up front what my shipping is going to be before I place my order. If anyone has any suggestions I would like to know. I had to take my puppet kits down off the SS Puppets site until I solve my foam issues.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up